Thursday, January 7, 2010

Putting Everything Into Perspective

In light of the disappointing end to my last football season at Georgia Tech, I am trying to ponder the bigger picture and look back on the past year. (Also, this is consolation to some extent)

First, Tech may get beaten by some big teams and seems to get the shaft by every announcer and ref on the planet, but us students have a smugness that makes it bearable. Knowing that as long as we remain a Top 25 team we would dominate any combined ranking of academics and BCS rank.
Second, we still had winning seasons each of the four years I have attended despite dismal post-season performance. I have had the pleasure to attend all but two home football games and had a wonderful time with friends doing so.
Lastly, even if a team like Iowa or Georgia beats us one day of the year and claims victory for that moment, the rest of the year the Tech grads employ and outperform them.

Although my time at Tech isn't over yet, I partly am glad to be heading towards graduation and the paycheck and free time that accompany it. There is still is a part of me that will miss Georgia Tech. Yes, we have no life. No, we have no parties. Girls? Negative. But, we all have something in common. We know how to work hard and have become used to it. That gives us a realistic outlook on life and the ability to think at a higher level than most engineering students. I've enjoyed some of the courses at Tech that teach us not to be a lackey but how to be a manager and how to make our knowledge useful and profitable. The downside is that I have generated a contempt for students who choose "unproductive" majors such as law, fashion, literature, and art. Everyone has a place in society, but complaining about how hard it is when you partied in college no longer seems acceptable to me. Perhaps that's a hard line to take, but what goes around comes around.

As I enter the most time-demanding semester of my career I only hope that I can just sprint to the finish before running out of energy. While motivated by a full time job offer, this goal seems as close and yet as far away as ever.

This past semester I was fortunate to be able to successfully enact my plan of meeting new people and forgetting some of my previous "friends" for some people I truly enjoy spending time with. I did this better than I expected; become close with several people I work with, had some great times with my best friend, and rekindled the fire with some old friends. For once, I felt like I know what I'm doing academically (aside from one class), and really enjoyed my studies. 2009 has been good to me, and I definitely was glad for the most part at how it turned out. I think the secret to my success last year was spontaneity, just going with the flow and taking opportunities as they arose; whether it be a spur-of-the-minute outing with friends, making a late night business trip to D.C., or inviting over an old family friend during Fall Break, I've never regretted any of it and benefited in so many ways.

My resolution for 2010 is to step up to the plate and take action when needed. Maybe I'll speak my mind when called for, or just speak more from the heart, or perhaps take a risk that I would normally second guess. With my career officially beginning this year I want to ensure that I start strong and make a lasting impression. Life is too short to wonder about what could have been.


No comments:

Post a Comment