Monday, November 9, 2009

How to be active in politics

Congressman Glenn Nye

116 Cannon House Office Building

Washington, D.C. 20515

 

Dear Congressman Nye,

I am writing to you to once again impart my feelings about the current lineup of proposed

legislation. While I am disappointed that the Congressional Budget Office managed to

deem the healthcare bill, H.R. 3962, appropriate for enactment, there is still plenty of

opportunity to stop enactment of this program. The principles of the legislation are

inappropriate for America, for nowhere does the Constitution say citizens have the right

to healthcare, nor do they have the right to many of the other things Americans take for

granted. Subsidizing another person's medical costs is not something I wish to do

involuntarily, so any type of expansion to the Medicare or Medicaid programs is

unwelcome in my view.

 

I could outline the costs I find offensive about H.R. 3962 to you here, but I will let the

author of the article I have attached do that.  To our benefit, she is able to succinctly lay

out the consequences of this bill; perhaps you will learn of some new details that you can

reveal to your colleagues in the House and the Senate and perchance open their eyes

about how this program's benefits are severely outweighed by its shortcomings.

 

The most atrocious thing about most of the major legislation Congress has enacted this

year is the cost. I do not wish to spend my life attempting to pay down a national debt

that was created on frivolous programs, nor do I want any future generations to have to

worry about carrying the burden created by irresponsible adults. As an about-to-graduate

engineering student, I see the need for solutions to problems in our world. However,

placing more emphasis on the federal government is not the proper method to carrying

out these solutions. Lowering mandates and regulations on healthcare insurers would be a

great start to reducing the high costs of healthcare, just as refining spent fuel would

provide a long-term fuel source for nuclear reactors to generate power. Rather than

junking the car and buying a new one, let's work efficiently to fix what we have. 

 

Sincerely,

 

Robert Carpenter


NOTE: I printed out and attached the following article: The Worst Bill Ever

 

No comments:

Post a Comment